Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Joe and Ryan's Memorial Speeches

Joe and Ryan emailed me short speeches before Sam's Memorial Service and asked if I would read them on their behalf. I felt at that time that my friend Colt should be extended the same courtesy, and he at once acquiesced, and then declined, and then agreed once again. Had I known that Colt would be so overcome with emotion when he took the podium, I never would have insisted that he stand in front of everyone, but that's just the level of dedication Sam tends to bring out in people, whether they realize it or not.

Joe's Words:

I first met Sam after we started hanging out at your house, and at that time, he seemed like a shy, stand-offish type kid. Of course, I'm the same way around people that I've never met before, so I knew that we were pretty similar. After time went by, Sam starting hanging out with us more – or at least he would try to. I recall on multiple occasions Lee would have to ask "Sam, can you go play in your room please?!", and of course he would always obey. It really didn't take that long before Sam was hanging out with the group on a more constant basis. We would always be playing videogames, watching movies, having nerf wars, or playing alone in the dark. It didn't take long for Sam to be part of the group because we all had so much in common. As time passed, I feel that we grew to be more like brothers than friends, and I would not have that any other way.

As college rolled around, I really only got to see Sam around summer break, or on the rare occasion when he would come to visit. I recall one time when he came up, and we decided to go to The Tap, a local College Station bar. Sam never liked to drink, but he was always happy to just come out with us and hang out. I always respected him for that - he didn't give in to the drinking peer pressure quite as easily as the rest of us inevitably did. He also didn't mind helping out whenever he could because he was just that kind of guy. He would clean up, or he would organize things for trips, or he would help us move. He was always available.

The most recent time where we got to hang out a lot was at the Frio, and those times were quite awesome. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it the first time all of you went, but I genuinely wish I could have. The first time I joined y'all, the water was so low that your butt cheeks got a close shave on the rocks below pretty much every time. That sure as hell didn't stop us from having a blast though. I remember trying to sleep in a hundred degree tent, being woken up to Tejano music at 6:00 AM, and getting charred in the sun as we all tried to create a rock dam to try to get just a fraction more force out of the river. I don't know if it helped much, but it didn't matter because everyone had a good time out there. The water was better the next summer, but quite honestly it didn't matter what the water was like because we all got to hang out and have fun. It never mattered where we were, or what the conditions were like, because it was fun just to hang out with my brothers.

It ripped my heart out when I heard of the news. I don't like to remember how he left us, but how he lived. I know he would have wanted it that way. Sam didn't just have one brother, but he had many, and we will all miss him dearly.

Love you guys,

Joe Smith


Ryan's Speech:

I was truly in awe when I got to see Sam at your parent's home that Easter weekend. The courage and strength of spirit he displayed was astounding. I am now just reading the journal entries your mom wrote and the spirit your brother displayed brings tears to my eyes. Sam was a brother that did not have enough time with us, but in the time he did have, he showed character that exceeded anything I have ever witnessed. I cannot imagine the scale of this loss on your and your family, and how incomplete your heart must now be. I am sorry I don't have one of Sam's witty jokes on memory but as you know I'm horrible at remembering jokes. I just remember that with one comment Sam could turn a whole situation around for the better and leave us rolling on the floor laughing. I feel Sam will be a part of us forever, and our memory of him will not fade.

--Ryan Bay

No comments: